POSITION AVAILABLE: Executive Director
Position: Executive Director – Brookline Interactive Group (BIG), Brookline, Mass.
Brookline Interactive Group (BIG), formerly Brookline Access Television (BATV), of Brookline, Mass. is seeking an Executive Director who can achieve its vision and guide the organization for long-term success.
The Executive Director serves as the chief executive officer and principal spokesperson for the organization and works with the Board of Directors to give direction and leadership to the achievement of BIG’s mission, goals and objectives, and develops long-range strategic plans to respond to the challenges of Community Media. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
Key responsibilities include working with the Board and staff to develop and implement all policies, procedures, and long-range strategic plans and compliance with the agreements with the Town of Brookline, and supervision of such areas as personnel matters, outreach, training, production, programming, promotion, grant writing, and fundraising. This person must be technologically cognizant of both new and social media, be familiar with video production and digital editing equipment, and encourage the growth of diverse and quality programming while increasing the organization’s membership and ensuring that members are provided services on a timely and consistent basis.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain a close working relationship with representatives of the community organizations, government agencies and public schools of Brookline
- Prepare periodic reports regarding progress toward and barriers to the achievement of such policies and plans
- Prepare and present to the Board of Directors for approval a yearly expense and capital budget.
- Oversee an effective outreach effort, with an emphasis on reaching out to local underserved populations
- Listen and communicate effectively in welcoming a diversity of opinions, needs, and cultures
- Establish and oversee media training curriculum that benefits community producers and volunteers
- Keep informed of trends, issues, events, and developments within the community media field through professional peer contacts, conference attendance, etc.
- Develop a local news show that is broadcast bi-monthly
- Work constantly to improve and enhance the services offered by BIG
- Represent the BIG in dealings with other public interest organizations and maintain an active role in the community
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards for the position. The Executive Director will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required to fulfill all job responsibilities and the mission of the organization.
- Proven visionary leadership and partnership with Board of Directors in achieving organizational vision and mission
- Proven success at pursuing and incorporating new revenue sources through a variety of fundraising and entrepreneurial activities, consistent with the mission of the organization
- Demonstrated management responsibility with a complex non-profit organization
- Documented experience that demonstrates a thorough knowledge of Community Access or a closely related field
- Strong communications skills, including effective public speaking and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop and coordinate active outreach/volunteer programs
- Dedication to First Amendment rights and enhancing citizen participation through access to communications media
Minimum Employment Standards and Requirements:
- BA or BS degree from an accredited college or university, or equivalent experience
- A minimum of five (5) years of management and supervisory experience in the community media field, or in related non-profit organizations.
The starting salary will be appropriate for a community media center of this magnitude in this location, commensurate with applicant’s qualifications. A benefits package will also be included.
Applicants Must Submit via E-mail:
1. A detailed letter of introduction describing applicant’s experience, knowledge and skills match the identified duties, responsibilities, minimum employment standards and requirements of this position.
2. Current resume
3. At least three professional references with telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.
Please send Word or PDF format documents as attachments to an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Executive Director Job Application” in the subject line of your email submission.
Applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis. No phone calls, please.