Open Position: Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant – Youth Media Center (MNN El Barrio Firehouse)
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse Community Media Center is a newly renovated state-of-the-art television production and training facility. Its Youth Media Center offers programs and opportunities for young people, ages 16 to 24 years, to develop as 21st century communicators. The Youth Media Center’s programs build young people’s understanding about media’s critical role in society and offer training to produce and distribute media about issues impacting their lives.
The MNN El Barrio Firehouse is seeking an Administrative Assistant to join the team. The position works closely with and reports directly to the Manager of the Youth Media Center. The 25- 35 hour position includes work on Saturdays and some evenings.
The main responsibilities of the Administrative Assistant are:
• Assists with student enrollment into classes and maintains waiting list; obtains documents required to participate in MNN programs, and ensures these are signed and filed accurately
• Schedules, organizes and executes informational sessions at the beginning of every training cycle
• Administers the application process for classes, internships, workshops, film club and other activities, including following up with applicants and responding to public inquiries.
• Provides administrative support to the development, planning, and implementation of youth educational programs and activities, including training in field and television studio production, mobile storytelling, and workshops in advanced media topics.
• Keeps records of participants’ attendance and communicates via email or phone
• Conducts follow up with current youth producers and alumni via email to engage in current Youth Media Center opportunities and activities.
• Enters daily reservations, confirmations, cancellations, notes, or other updates in the MNN database.
• Creates and maintains digital records of Youth Producer’s profiles on MNN database
• Arranges logistics for class cycle including reserving facilities and equipment, reflects on Database
• Creates + administers classes and events on MNN Database every cycle
• Prepares documentation and certification badges for newly certified youth producers
• Assists in the preparation and execution of graduation ceremony
• Conducts outreach and liaisons with school representatives and local community-based organizations to provide information about educational program and establish working relationships
• Assists in design of announcements and promotional materials of the program, including taking and storing pictures throughout the program with this purpose
• Distributes Youth Media Center related information or announcements via mail, email, and social media outlets.
• Attend community events and network with different local organizations, provides information about our program
• Coordinates, manages and distributes Youth Media Center’s Newsletter to both alumni and local organizations informing about different opportunities available including: in-house trainings and workshops, upcoming cycles and community events, internship and job-related opportunities for the youth
• Attends public inquires regarding trainings and events via phone and email
• Assists with general upkeep and cleanliness of classroom spaces and equipment.
• Implements MNN policies, rules and regulations.
• Participates in team meetings and prepares monthly reports
• Other tasks as assigned by supervisor or manager
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, media, video, journalism or equivalent experience.
• 3 + years experience in youth education or administration
• Demonstrated track knowledge of new media technology platforms and skills
• Marketing and social media knowledge preferred
• Bilingual Spanish/English preferred
Other Job Requirements
• Exceptional administrative and organizational skills.
• Action-oriented work ethic with “can do” attitude.
• Demonstrated track record with keeping accurate and detailed records.
• Strong interest in community and youth media.
• Experience with database entry.
• A team player with demonstrated record of working collectively and collaboratively.
• Outstanding communication skills, verbal and written.
• Demonstrated initiative in solving problems and capacity to troubleshoot and make recommendations.
• Basic graphic design experience and knowledge of Photoshop preferred.
• Available to work evening and weekend hours.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line must indicate Administrative Assistant. Due to the volume of applications, MNN may not be able to respond individually to each applicant. MNN will contact candidates for interviews on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
Founded in 1992, Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) is Manhattan’s free, public access cable network. We operate two media production and education facilities in Manhattan and run four cablecast channels (Community, Lifestyle, Spirit, and Culture), reaching 620,000 cable subscribers in the borough. MNN offers free training in video production, editing, and broadcasting to Manhattan residents who wish to become Certified Producers with MNN. MNN actively strives to empower Manhattan residents to exercise their First Amendment rights in an open, uncensored, and equitable forum.
Manhattan Neighborhood Network is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.