Open Position: Media Production Manager
Media Production Manager
Reports to Executive Director
Hours: Full-Time, non-exempt. Schedule varies with evenings, weekends, and holidays required. Standard work schedule is Monday – Friday 10 am – 6:30 pm, with alternate Saturdays 10 am – 6 pm.
Pay rate: $16 – $22/hour, based on experience. 40 hours per week.
Public Media Network (PMN) seeks a dynamic individual to produce media that helps to advance the greater Kalamazoo community.
The Media Production Manager leads the media production team for Public Media Network, provides assistance and facilitation to Public Media Network community media producers, coordinates and implements Public Media Network’s media internship program, and provides training and vocational instruction in media production.
The individual must be able to carry out multiple independent projects from concept through implementation, with a considerable degree of self-direction and initiative. The individual must have a strong work ethic. The individual must be highly organized with good people skills and an ability to complete creative media production work that meets professional standards.
The Media Production Manager is part of the PMN Leadership Team and also provides support for Public Media Network’s activities, services, and operations.
Example of Duties (for illustration purposes only):
- Serves as Executive Producer for Public Media Network productions including government meeting coverage, magazine style programs, talk shows, and local event coverage.
- Develops and creates a variety of video programs, including scheduling guests, coordination of production crews and preparation of location shooting.
- Supervises and leads community production services staff to ensure a rich customer-service environment that is meeting the goals of the PMN.
- Develops and produces high-quality, professional, informative, and engaging video programming for PMN’s various media platforms.
- Works collaboratively with community partners to develop programming to meet community needs.
- Coordinates the media internship program, including recruitment, training, scheduling, supervision, and evaluation.
- Assists community producers with program development, training, paperwork, and technical troubleshooting.
- Helps monitor activities of producers to ensure technical competence and compliance with PMN Rules and regulations.
- Assists with the development of an in-depth media arts training program, instruction schedules and activities.
- Works with Operations Manager to coordinate an in-depth media arts training program for the community.
- Provides instruction to high school students for Education for Employment program.
- Helps coordinate daily scheduling of Community Media Arts Center production facility and resources.
- Maintains production equipment, including check-in and check-out procedures and inventory.
- Works with Operations Manager to perform periodic scheduled basic maintenance of media production equipment.
- Assists and supports special events and daily operational needs of PMN.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends based on the production and event schedules.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- Skilled in all aspects of small format video field production, studio production, and editing.
- Skilled in troubleshooting media production equipment.
- Ability to work with and supervise a diverse group of people.
- Strong communication, organizational, and writing skills.
- Working knowledge of Mac OS, Windows OS, and Microsoft Office.
- Ability to perform and provide instruction on non-linear editing systems, field production equipment, and studio production equipment.
- Must provide own transportation.
- A minimum of three (3) years of full-time employment in a television/multi-media environment or any equivalent combination of education, training, and work experience.
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of day-to-day operations of a community media center and understanding of the concept of community utilization of media resources.
- Training and/or experience in radio and media production management.
- Have a sense of creativity, a willingness to explore, and a desire to be innovative.
Suggested Training and Education Requirements:
A Bachelors or Associates degree from a college or university with specialization in electronic media; a minimum of three years of experience in a community media center operation or equivalent environment; or any combination of training and experience that provides the required desired knowledge and skills.
The Production Manager must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license by the State of Michigan.
Please send by 5:00 p.m. Friday, December 8, 2017, a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Public Media Network
359 S. Kalamazoo Mall, Third Floor
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
NO PHONE CALLS.