Open Position: Senior Program Manager
City Cable TV Senior Program Manager
The City of Somerville, MA, City Cable TV division is seeking a full‐time Senior Program Director with excellent video production and communication skills and a passion for local government to join our team. If you thrive in a public service environment, enjoy team work as well as individual, detail‐oriented tasks, and have a flair for clear and compelling information sharing, this is the place for you.
The Senior Program Director will work as part of our City Cable team under the Director of City Cable TV in three main task areas: 1. field and studio video production from pre‐ to postproduction including oversight of ~12 part‐time crew members, 2. crafting and posting of accurate and timely notices to the City’s electronic bulletin board, and 3. equipment and cable infrastructure oversight and maintenance management. This is a full‐time position with competitive vacation and benefits package.
The job balances team work on creative video productions with simple, solo recordings to
document critical meetings and important events. The right person will also enjoy and excel at both hands‐on technical responsibilities for production and equipment as well as written communication and newsfeed‐like responsibility for creating accurate and detailed notices for the e‐bulletin board.
VIDEO & E‐BULLETIN BOARD CONTENT PRODUCTION
- Produces field and studio shoots to create videos, TV programs, and PSAs from
conception to completion including pre‐production research and planning; production taping, sound recording, directing, and lighting; and post‐production editing and titling.
- Shoots, or schedules other personnel, to videotape additional events and meetings.
- Maintains production calendar.
- Creates content (announcements, public information, etc.) and continually updates the
- City Cable bulletin board.
- Hires part‐time production personnel.
- Schedules and uploads video into playback system for television Broadcast.
- Shares videos via additional digital and online platforms.
- Remains on call at all hours to post emergency alerts to cable channels and e‐bulletin board.
- Collaborates with Somerville High School staff to assist/support video classes for
- Purchases and maintains video equipment.
- Schedules video equipment installations and oversees work.
- Assists cable customers in resolving cable TV‐related complaints.
- Coordinates with cable providers, Public Access provider, and City IT on the
maintenance of cable channel infrastructure, fiber lines, and I‐Net connections.
Qualifications / Skills required:
- Demonstrated ability to complete successful field and studio productions
- Knowledge of the Tricaster video production system (or similar)
- Highly proficient in Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro editing software
- Skilled in small camera and SLR videography (preferred)
- Comfortable with the Cablecast video playback system (or similar)
- Proficient in digital video distribution via YouTube, Vimeo, podcasts, Facebook Live, Periscope, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and maintain good relationships with departments citywide as well as community partners and elected officials
- Solid project management and staff scheduling skills
- Knowledge of cablecasting equipment and procedures
- In depth working knowledge of control room and studio technologies and systems
- Ability to lift and transport production equipment on a regular basis (50 lbs), and carry out handheld‐camera field shoots
- Valid MA driver’s license and full‐time access to a personal vehicle in good working condition
A bachelor’s degree in film and video production or a related field (or equivalent experience) is required, as well as a minimum of three years of relevant professional experience. Some evening and weekend work is required.
The work environment involves everyday discomforts typical of offices, and exposure to outside elements, including inclement weather, heat and cold temperatures. Noise or physical surroundings may be distracting, but conditions are generally not unpleasant. Work requires some agility and physical strength, such as moving in or about typical urban conditions, or standing or walking much of the work period. Employee may be required to work beyond normal business hours to attend evening meetings or complete work assignments or assist with emergency communications.
Physical and Mental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
Duties will require medium work of exerting up to 50 lbs of force as needed to move objects. Must be able to frequently lift, work with, and transport portable video production equipment to and from sporting events and other field tapings at a range of indoor and outdoor locations, as well as shoot handheld video for productions.
When working with wiring, cables, cameras and video and production equipment, fine motor skills are required. When performing office tasks, duties are largely mental rather than physical, but may occasionally require minimal motor skills for activities such as moving objects, operating a telephone, personal computer and/or most other office equipment including word processing, filing and sorting of papers.
Visual demands for video production and editing requires constant viewing of video as well as ability to use a camera viewfinder. Visual demands in the office setting require constantly reading documents for general understanding and analytical purposes.
Send your resume, cover letter, links or files for two relevant video samples of varied length and a short informational writing sample by November 9, 2018 to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Individuals with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication, written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures, in order to access the programs and activities of the City of Somerville or to attend meetings, should contact the City’s ADA Coordinator, Nency Salamoun, at 617‐625‐6600 x2323 or NSalamoun@somervillema.gov.
Hours: Full Time
Salary: $61,200.00 per year plus benefits