Open Position: News Director
Arlington Community Media
Reporting to the Executive Director, the News Director leads and manages the planning, production and presentation of Arlington Public News, supervises the news team and works in cooperation with staff, interns and volunteers to support the ACMi mission.
The responsibilities of the News Director include news planning, reporting, editing and production. The News Director helps define and maintain ethical, editorial, artistic and technical standards for news and news-related programs.
- Directs the activities of the Arlington Public News team to develop story ideas, track issues and events, select reporters for coverage, schedule stories for airing, and schedule time for interviewing, writing and editing.
- Serves as a primary editor to ensure news reports are produced in an effective, timely and responsible manner.
- Acts as a proactive liaison to various Arlington constituencies to promote ACMi’s news programming.
- Create and manage a weekly news program.
- Supervise interns, reporters and hosts on enterprising stories, and assist in improving their on-air performance.
- Work in collaboration with the Public Affairs Producer on special projects.
- Promote news content on social media platforms.
- Innovate new ways to tell stories utilizing new technology.
- A four-year degree in journalism or equivalent.
- Three years full-time professional experience in news journalism.
- Must have a broad knowledge of local and regional issues.
- Experience in television production, web content, news writing and news editing.
- Must have effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent on-line research and multimedia production skills.
- Understanding of community access television.
- Must have excellent memory for details and be able to meet deadlines while effectively handling multiple competing tasks.
Commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and links by April 30, 2018 to:
Norman J. McLeod
Arlington Community Media, Inc.
85 Park Avenue
Arlington, MA. 02476